Here is the part 2 of the “healthy eating handy tips”
11. If there is a particular food item that you just can’t leave, then add it but in moderation. For e.g. Chocolate lovers need not keep themselves deprived. hey can have a small piece of chocolate after lunch or breakfast .Yes, being a healthy eater doesn’t mean keeping yourself in deprivation. But choose wisely and eat in moderation.
12. Cut back on foods high in solid fats, added sugars, and salt. hey include cakes, cookies, ice cream, candies, sweetened drinks, pizza, and fatty meats , sweets , biscuits, cold coffee shakes use these foods as occasional treats, not every day foods.
13. Take an early dinner by 8 pm if possible.
14. This is an important one: Chew your food slowly with an attitude of gratitude towards the food and its source. Vegetarian or non vegetarian whatever source you are choosing make sure you are eating with awareness, maintaining a connection with the food.
15. I personally feel one must avoid talking while eating as one ends up eating more than required and often miss the stop signal given by our body .
16. Eat 3⁄4 the of your hunger leaving 1⁄4 space free in tummy. his won’t make you feel heavy or lethargic rather you will feel energized after a meal.
17. Make a journal of what you eat. Be non judgmental when you write, put it down as an observation. It will be helpful towards keeping a track of your diet habits, cravings and will also help you to be more mindful of what you are eating.
18. Make your own diet plan: You can try different combinations and make your own diet plan. Remember our diet also varies with the amount to physical activity we are involved in, age, health status etc.
I am not a dietician but below is one possible plan following above tips. This is kind of basic structure that I follow, you can work around it and see what works best for you:
On waking up: Luke warm water with lemon and honey /tea/coffee
Morn breakfast: One bowl of cereal with skimmed milk and or fruits and or whole grain cheela or bread (no butter or low fat bread spread)
Mid morn: Fruit (one apple /an orange/papaya ) and or butter milk Lunch: Salad + dal + vegetable + curd +wholegrain chapatti + (one small piece of chocolate for chocolate lovers ;P)
Evening: Tea and fist full of Chana/ peanuts / small bowl of sprouts /two mcvities marie or any wholegrain biscuit
Dinner: Seasonal soup spinach/ tomato (homemade without cream), Steamed vegetables, dal, chapatti) (Image source 123RF.com)